Today, over 80 percent of world petroleum reserves are state-owned — controlled by countries that have the power to manipulate supply and price with impunity — this fact goes directly to the heart of energy security. As a country we are united in the desire for lower gas prices and less dependence on foreign sources of energy to fuel our growth. What that means to most people is developing domestic oil, gas, wind and solar. But it also means taking full advantage of the hidden energy in our waste, and converting that natural resource into biofuels.
Creating renewable, sustainable energy from waste sets us on the road to permanent energy independence by:
- Reducing dependence on foreign energy, strengthening national security
- Lowering spending on policing global energy supply
- Creating domestic green jobs
- Enhancing US economic growth
- Building the foundation for a clean-energy economy